- Kenai River Lodge
- Alaska Fishing Trips
- Alaska Salmon Fishing
- Trophy Alaska Rainbow Trout fishing
- Alaska Halibut Fishing Charters
- Alaska Wade Fishing trips
- Alaska Fly Fishing Lodge
- Alaska One day Fishing Trips
- Alaska Fishing Options
- Great Alaska Fishing Boats
- Alaska Fishing Species Calendar
- Alaska Fishing License info
- Processing your catch
- Alaska Fishing and Bear Viewing
- Alaska Nature Adventures
- Alaska Bear Viewing
- Alaska Family Vacations
- Alaska Day Trips
- Alaska Camping Trips
- All Inclusive Alaska Adventure Vacations
- All Alaska Vacations
- Alaskan Photo Gallery
- Isla Holbox
- Costa Rica
After much deliberation, our family chose magical Isla Holbox for our reunion. We...
Your adventure awaits....
at Isla Holbox
There are devoted fishermen that travel the globe in search of giant Tarpon, and there are those that just want great fly fishing in paradise. At Holbox Fly Fishing Lodge, you'll find them both!
The Tarpon can exceed 100 pounds in April to September and there are 5 to 40 pounders available year round in the protected backwaters and Mangroves...making this as close to a year round Fly Fishing destination as you are likely to find. Giant summertime migratory Tarpon or the "baby tarpon", along with plentiful Barracuda, Jack Crevalle, Snook and even Permit. If Mexico fly fishing action in paradise is of interest to you - come visit Holbox Island, where you'll be treated like royalty.
Bring your favorite rods (see individual species for recommendations), and you can get your Mexico fly fishing license on Holbox Island ($50/week).
Each morning of fly fishing will begin as the fishing guide reports the weather conditions- and depending upon his recommendations you and one other angler will head out in classic flats style pangas perfectly suited for our waters. During the summer months, the giant Tarpon gather nearby in 20 - 50 feet of water and we target them with shooting heads, with fish averaging from 50 - 175 pounds. The fish are feeding on the migrating bait fish and you will chase and intercept schools while presenting your fly in hopes of enticing a hungry Tarpon. Battles can last 30 to 45 minutes and you may bring one in three to the boat (or less!) however that single fish may well be the highlight of a lifetime of angling. You will return most days at 2:00 pm.
When wind conditions make casting efforts unproductive, we’ll move into the mangrove lagoons where your guide will pole your boats in the ancient manner in search of the healthy resident population of baby Tarpon and Snook. This is the classic flats angling, with marauding packs of Tarpon, Snook and more feeding on crab, baitfish and more. Casting will be at a premium here, though accuracy is usually more important than great distance. While the fish average 5-15 pounds, some 25 -40 pound specimens are caught each year, and every fish brought to hand is a trophy.
Even during perfect weather many guests will choose to try the lagoon fishing after doing battle with a few of the large offshore fish...each one takes a little bit out of you!
After fishing each day, a freshwater wash down awaits your rod and reel, and perhaps a siesta in the lounge chairs on the beach, or a cold drink as you watch the sun drop into the Gulf. Perhaps a walk on the car-less streets of this amazing little village. Later, our amazing manager Luciano will have the happy hour beverages and hors d’oeuvres ready for you as we discuss the day’s activity and then plan the schedule for the following morning. He'll advise you on the various excellent restaurant options available for you after happy hour. So ends another day on Isla Holbox.
Holbox Flyfishing Trips and more...
Holbox Trophy Tarpon Classic - The classic trophy Tarpon fishing trip. Choose from 8 or 6 day versions, complete with transfers from your Cancun hotel. All day, every day fishing for giant and baby Tarpon during the peak season and baby Tarpon, Snook and more during the low season. Great fishing & hospitality and lodge right on the beach of Holbox. 8 DAY/7 NT High season/$3,295.00 /low season $2,495.00. 6 DAY/ 5 NT: High $2,395.00 /Low $1,795.00
Winter Holbox Fishing Special
- (Low Season Only) A great option for the Winter-season fisherman. Choose the best 3, or 2 fishing days during your 8 or 6 day trip, based upon weather report. Luciano will work with you to target the best days. 8 day/7 NT w/ 3 days fishing: $1,750.00 - 6 DAY/5 NT w/2 days fishing: $1,395.00
"Holbox 2 for 1 special"
- (Low season only) The perfect blend of Tarpon Fishing and beach relaxation two fishing buddies. You'll fish 2 days (on the 6 day trip) or 3 days (8 day trip), and relax and enjoy the rays when you're not on the water chasing these great fish. Great hospitality incl. Happy Hour and a gorgeous lodge on the beach of Holbox. 8 day/7 NT $3,295.00 (for two) 6 DAY/5 NT $2,495.00 (for two)
The Couples Getaway
- (Low Season Only) This is the trip for a couple where he wants to fish, and she wants to enjoy the beautiful beach, warm waters of the gulf plus a horseback ride on the beach and a waterfront massage....and a good book! (or her favorite tablet..we're WI-FI friendly!) . 8 DAY/7 NT: $3,295.00. 6 day/5 NT $2,495.00 (All prices "per couple" for the couples getaway).
High season runs from MAY 1 - August 31. Low Season is September 1 - APRIL 31.
Cancun to lodge Transfers and meals (other than on boats on fishing days) are not included in package cost.
Dining is at your choice of the many wonderful cafes and restaurants within walking distance from the lodge